Sunday, March 20, 2005

Palm Sunday

As we near the end of Lent, we celebrate Passion (Palm) Sunday. At the beginning of the liturgy, we receive palms in memory of Christ's triumphal entry into Jerusalem. As a symbol of triumph, the palms point us toward Christ's resurrection and might remind us of the saints in heaven "wearing white robes and holding palm branches in their hands" (Rev 7:9). The white robes remind us of baptismal garments, and the palms suggest their triumph over sin and death through the waters of Baptism. - Catholic Update

THE CROSS
This morning the Cooperators had their lenten recollection. They ended the recollection by watching the crucifixion scene of "The Passion of the Christ." I flinched every time the hammer hit the nails. And I admit I shed silent tears. At the end of the movie, we were all (is the word "sniffling?" The word just wouldn't come *blush*).

Ang pagpapakasakit ni Kristo ay ang kanyang pagmamalasakit para sa akin. Ang pagmamalasakit ay tanda ng pagmamahal. Naalala ko ang isang teacher na nagsabi sa akin na sumulat ang kanyang asawa na nagtatrabaho sa Saudi. Hirap na hirap na daw ito. Ngunit kailangan pa siyang magtrabaho doon kasi nag-aaral pa ang lahat ng kanyang mga anak.

Nagpapakasakit siya sa Saudi. Nagmamalasakit siya para sa kanyang mga anak. Bakit? Sapagkat mahal niya sila.

Mahal ako ni Jesus. Nagmalasakit siya para sa akin. Nagpakasakit siya sa krus para sa akin.

THE WORDS AT THE CROSS
"My God, my God, why have you forsaken me." You would think that Jesus had lost all hope. But that was not so.

Jesus was, in fact, praying Psalm 22 (remember the responsorial psalm). And Psalm 22 is a psalm of trust.
For example, verse 27 reads: "For God has not spurned or disdained the misery of this poor wretch, Did not turn away from me, but heard me when I cried out."

What strikes me about this detail of Jesus praying Psalm 22 is that at the lowest point of his earthly life, Jesus found strenght in prayer. His prayer did not end at the Garden of Gethsemane. It continued to the end of his life when he exclaimed: "Father into your hands I commend my spirit."

I am weak. I lack self-discipline. I am cowardly. I lack courage. Jesus teaches me where to find strength and courage to face life and death. In prayer!

No comments: