Monday, March 21, 2005

Maundy Thursday - Eucharist and Priesthood I

The Easter Triduum begins with the celebration of the Lord's Supper in the evening. It commemorates not only the giving of the commandment of love but also the gift of the two sacraments of Priesthood and the Eucharist. Hence, every year the Pope writes a letter to Priests for Holy Thursday. And because this is the Year of the Eucharist, the Letter takes its inspiration from the words of consecration at Mass.

And by the way, besides the Mass of the Lord's Supper in the evening there is also the Chrism Mass in the morning. In this Mass the Holy Oils are blessed. These Oils are used for the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Orders and Anointing of the Sick. This is also the Mass where the priests of the diocese concelebrate with their bishop in order to manifest the unity of the priesthood. For all of them share in the priesthood of Christ.

And now my reflections on the Holy Thursday letter of the Pope. I will focus on his reflection on the following words: HE TOOK BREAD AND GAVE YOU THANKS.

Jesus gave thanks. This is why the Mass is called the Sacrament of the Eucharist. Eucharist is Greek for thanksgiving.

Priests are to give thanks for the gift of Faith which they are tasked to proclaim and for the gift of the priesthood which consecrates them totally to the service of the Kingdom.

Thanksgiving is our response to the wonderful things that God has done for us. What has God done for me? For what things should I thank him? Let me count my blessings.

Although I have to live with hypertension for the rest of my life (it’s inherited), I am basically healthy. If I do get sick in a year, it would only be an inflamed throat. I can still climb mountains, though not as fast as before. I have to lose weight. (I’m obsese.) Some 40 pounds! But I’m not bed-ridden. I am not on a diet. (Walang mga bawal na pagkain.) Thank you, Lord, for the gift of health.

I am not a genius. But I think I am intellectually gifted. I have received awards for intellectual achievement. I have been able to earn a doctorate. Thank you, Lord.

I have been given positions of responsibility. I think that is a sign that my abilities are recognized and that I am trusted. Thank you, Lord, for my abilities and the opportunities to exercise leadership.

My dream has been to go abroad. I have been given the opportunity to do so countless times. In recent times I have been going abroad every year. Thank you, Lord, for the fulfillment of that dream.

I have not been deprived. My needs have been met. Abundantly at times. My teeth have been “repaired”. Soon I will be wearing retainers. I successfully underwent a Lasik procedure, though I have to wear reading glasses at times. I have been able to get two digital cameras. I do love photography as means of self-expression. But I also use these cameras for education and formation. I also have a camcorder and I have been able to produce videos for personal use but also for education and formation. I have access to ICT equipment (fast internet, PC, scanner, photo printers, and laptop). I have access to a new Revo GLX (not yet a year old). Thank you, Lord, because I am not in the state of misery.

When I experienced midlife transition, I was able to join a course for midlifers. That was a great grace from God. The journey is not over. A lot has to be done. But still I must thank you, Lord, for that gift.

I remember when I was 19 years old I had what they call an anchor experience (a religious experience). I didn’t see God. But I felt his presence. And it felt like I was in heaven. Thank you for that grace, too, Lord.

I’ll spend the rest of the day counting my blessings.

No comments: