Friday, March 25, 2005

EASTER SUNDAY

Jesus is risen as he said, alleluia!

I look at the Easter Triduum as following the all-time favorite story line of good victorious over evil. If this were a movie, it would look like this. All the forces of evil are ranged against our hero. He is alone because his friends deserted him. But he is unfazed. The enemy attacks. He is overpowered and killed. The enemy shouts in triumph. The enemy gloats. But just when they think they have heard the last of him, something unexpected happens. The hero comes back to life. But he is not merely resuscitated. He is transformed, resurrected. He has become invincible and immortal. The enemy can no longer do him any harm. In fact, it is the beginning of the end for the enemy.

If the Easter triduum is a movie then it will easily qualify as a feel-good movie. I would be leaving the theater feeling good because the good had the last word.

But the Easter triduum is not a movie. It is for real. Jesus assures me that in the cosmic battle between good and evil, the final outcome is already certain. Evil is certainly powerful. But Good is even more powerful.

The battle between good and evil is taking place in me, too. I know how strong evil can be. I know how weak I am. But I have also known what the grace of Jesus risen from the dead has been able to do in me. Sometimes I am surprised myself.

The final outcome of the cosmic battle between good and evil is certain. But the final outcome of the battle of good and evil in me is not as certain. The problem is not with Jesus. The problem is with me. I am flesh and blood, weak and inclined to evil. And so I entrust myself to the kindness and mercy of Jesus who loved me and gave his life for me.

No comments: