Friday, March 25, 2005

Black Saturday

Patay ang Diyos

After the celebration of the passion, there is the Santo Entiero procession. The dead Jesus is going to be buried. God is dead!

Well. not exactly. As the song goes, "God's not dead. He is alive."

Theologically. in Jesus there is only one person--the person of God. In Jesus there are two natures--the human and the divine. His human nature died and resurrected. His divine person and divine nature can never die.

Jesus died on the cross. We who are baptized in his name (that's why we are called Christians) should also nail our wicked deeds and desires on the cross. We are supposed to put to death the old man.

But that is not the end oi the story. We put to death the old man so that with Christ we can rise anew, that is, we now live in goodness.

Today I have gone to confession after some years. I have put to death my sins. I hope to start a new life. But I know that the evil inclinations in me are not totally dead. I know that a time will come when they will rear their ugly heads and I might sin again.

It does not matter. I will keep on trying. The saints are really no different from me--with this one crucial exception. They kept on trying.

No comments: