Sunday, December 24, 2006

Fourth Sunday of Advent (C)


I came across this letter from Mary to Joseph. I don't remember anymore where I got it but let me share it with you. It will be Christmas tonight. It would be a pity if Christ would not be in our Christmas.

Mary had a terrible dream. She wrote to tell Joseph about it. This is her letter.

Dear Joseph,

I had a dream. I don't understand it, but I think it was about a birthday celebration for Jesus, our Son.

The people in my dream had been preparing for about six weeks. They had decorated the house and bought new clothes. They'd gone shopping many times and bought many elaborate gifts.

It was peculiar though, because the presents weren't for our son. They wrapped them in beautiful paper and stacked them under a tree. Yes, a tree, Joseph, right inside their homes! They'd decorated the tree with sparkling ornaments and blinking lights. There was even a figure like an angel on top of the tree.

Everyone was laughing and happy. They gave gifts to each other, Joseph, but not to our son. I don't think they even knew him. They never mentioned his name.

I had the strangest of feeling that, if our Jesus had gone to this celebration, he would have been intruding. How sad for someone not to be wanted at his own birthday party! I'm glad it was only a dream, Joseph. How terrible if it had been real!

Love,

Mary

No comments: