Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas Gift-giving



When I was young, I remember my Mom reminding me to hang a sock (my father’s sock) because Santa would be putting goodies there. In the morning I would run to where the sock hung. It was heavy with an apple, an orange, and chocolates (Pom poms, Baby Ruth, M&M’s, golden coins and candies (Life Savers). It was probably why I love chocolates even today.


Christmas was for me the time when I would receive lots and lots of gifts and goodies. I didn’t know it then but the giving of gifts was a continuation of the gift-giving that happened on that first Christmas. For God so loved the world that he gave us the greatest gift that he could possibly gift—his only Son.

We show our appreciation for the gifts we receive by putting them in a place of honor. A woman mounted an unfinished cross-stitch in the sala. It was her mother’s gift to her as she lay dying of cancer.

There is no other place of honor for Jesus, God’s gift to us, than in our hearts. When St. Dominic Savio resolved that Jesus and Mary will be his best friends, that was another way of saying that he was letting Jesus and Mary into his heart.

The Belen depicts the three kings offering their gifts to the Baby Jesus. The Drummer Boy was concerned about the gift that he would be bringing to the Savior. What gift would we bring to Jesus? Perhaps, more attention. Some watches would chime on the hour, every hour. Perhaps we could use that to stop a few seconds and turn our thoughts to Jesus.

A carol says that Love came down on Christmas day. Let Jesus be born again in our families. And the proof of Jesus’ presence is the love and caring that should be expressed and felt in our families. When you give your gift to your parents and to you brothers and sisters, why not do it while saying: “I love you, Mom.” “I love you, Dad.” “I love you, Louie.” “I love you, Erika.”

Christmas is a time of gift-giving. Another word for gift is ‘present’. While a present might be very appreciated, our presence would surely be more appreciated. But our presence should not be merely ‘being there’. It should above all be a loving presence.

No comments: