Sunday, May 21, 2006

6th Sunday of Easter (B)

Love one another as I love you. (Jn 15:9-17)



A priest shared this story of their theology days (that period prior to ordination when they studied theology). One of the subjects was moral theology (the study of Christian morality).

For their finals their professor was going to give them only one question. If they answered it correctly, they would get 100. Otherwise, they would get 0. Examination for moral theology came. They received one question: What was the command of Jesus concerning love?

The day after they received their papers. Some received 0. Others, 100. They looked at the papers marked 0. The answer was: Love one another. They looked at the papers marked 100. Their answer? Love one another as I have loved you.

TRUE STORY

Mother is always there when you need her. She helps, protects, listens, advises and nurtures phyiscally and morally. She makes sure that her family is loved 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year. At least that's how I remember my mother, for the few precious years I awas blessed to have her. But no words can describe the sacrifice she made out of love for me, her young son.

I was 19 years old, and I was being taken to a concentration camp with a large group of other Jews. It was clear that we were destined to die. Suddenly my mother stepped in and traded places with me. And although it was more than 50 years ago, I will never forget her last words to me and her good-bye look.

"I have lived long enough. You have to survive because you are so young," she said.

Most kids are born only once. I was given birth twice - by the same mother.

CONCLUSION

Love one another as I have loved you. How did Jesus love us? He gave his life for us. How should we love one another? Even to the extent of being ready to give our life.

Yet the time when we might be called to sacrifice our life for the one we love may never come. But the opportunity to spend our life for the good of the ones we love will always be there.

For families, I offer two practical ways of living our lives in ways that speak of love. First, of being understanding and forgiving toward one another. And second, of being thoughtful and considerate toward one another.

No comments: