Friday, January 27, 2006

Jim Paredes is Leaving the Country



Yesterday I opened the blog (Writing on Air)of Jim Paredes (APO Hiking Society). I read that he was bringing his family to Australia. And I felt sad. I was surprised why I felt that way. I do not know Jim personally. Neither does he know me personally. So why did I become sad? I reflected for a moment and I realized why.


By leaving the country, Jim had confirmed what I had been feeling for some years already—a great disappointment at what is happening to our country.


Many years ago, we bade good bye to our sister who was leaving for Spain. I will never forget what she told me then, “Kuya, umalis ka na sa Pilipinas. Wala nang pag-asa ang ating bayan.” (Elder brother, leave the Philippies. Our country is hopeless.) I did not share her pessimism then. But not now.


After EDSA 1 I was filled with great hopes for the country. But I was disappointed. I felt that we wasted the chance that God had given to us. Jim felt the same way: “I was tired and had no enthusiasm for any political activism. I felt a deep let-down then which lasts to this day. It dawned on me that we as a people apparently had not learned anything important even after EDSA1, and were squandering our opportunities for real change.”


After EDSA 2 I was encouraged again. I felt that God was giving us another chance. But we blew it. Jim had this to say: “There was EDSA 2 which kind of gave me second thoughts about leaving. But as things turned out, hope for change was very short-lived.”


“Kuya, umalis ka na sa Pilipinas. Wala nang pag-asa ang ating bayan.” My two other siblings have left the country since then. One to Australia (where Jim is bringing his family) and the other to the US. I am the only one remaining.

I love my country. I am happy to be Pinoy. But I am so ashamed to admit it: I have also given up hope for the Philippines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my first time to enter the world of "blogs", I was just searching on the net any link that would answer my question whether Jim paredes has left the country for Australia. I have left the country about 1 year and 3 months already (it was a hard decision because my family- mom,brothers and sisters, my friends and a good banking career. Just as Jim and other pinoys who were disappointed after the promise of Edsa I and II never materialized and the problems of the country even get worst.... with heavy heart I have to pack my bags. And watching the Philippines's deteriorating economy, corrupt officials, faster rate of population who seemed not to know where the country is leading to from afar always bring pain to my heart....

I can fully understand Jim's decision... but where is he now? Just curious!

Anonymous said...

Great site! michigan shopping Santa's Message OrnamentSanta has a special message for you alone. Please visit michigan shopping