Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Like Bambi Harper I'm Sick and Tired of All This

If you did not read the Inquirer today, read this....

After Susan Roces screeched her way through a diatribe against the President (I heard about it while I was stuffing my mouth with chocolate cake in frustration during lunch), I wished someone would ask me to go on TV so I could tell the whole lot of them (meaning the entire government and sundry hangers on) to go away and leave us in peace.

You realize, of course, that the myth being offered is that if GMA resigns, everything will be all right. It's the usual one person to blame for everything (before that, it was the US of A and before that, Spain) and if you remove the splinter we'll have no more pain. (Am I mixing my metaphors? I wouldn't doubt it, but you get the general idea). Excuse me? Are we falling for that tired line again? Haven't we heard that siren song once too often?

Are all these people, who are insisting on the resignation of one individual, actually of the belief that if the President resigns, the entire government will suddenly undergo a change of heart, i.e., repent and develop creative thinking abilities, not to mention a conscience and moral values? You really think Jinggoy Estrada or Bong Revilla or Lito Lapid can solve the economic problems of this country?

We are being asked to believe that the solution lies in a change to a parliamentary system. Why? Wouldn't the same idiots be running for office again? Wouldn't they still be perpetuating dynasties and running to protect vested interests? Now if you told me that none of our incumbent elected officials would run, then perhaps there's a chance--a slim one, mind you--that things might be put right. But still we should remember that elections in this country are rigged and voters are bribed.

BAMBI HARPER, PDI

No comments: