Thursday, June 02, 2005

10th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Calling of Matthew
Who was Matthew?
He was an Apostle and an Evangelist. As an Apostle, he was one of the Twelve chosen by Jesus Christ to be his closest collaborator. As an Evangelist, he wrote the Gospel for the Hebrews. His is one of the four Gospels--the others being Mark, Luke and John.

Levi is probably his original name. Matthew was the name given to him by Jesus at the time of his calling.

As a tax collector or publican in Capernaum, he was collecting custom duties for Herod Antipas. Like Zacchaeus, he was probably hated because of corruption and collaboration with the Roman occupation.

We do not have any certainty about his field of evangelization, although most mention Ethiopia south of the Caspian Sea (and not the Ethiopia in Africa).

Ancient testimony points to his martyrdom but there is no agreement as to how he died. Some say he was burned; others, beheaded and still others, stoned.
Follow me
If someone were to say, "Follow me" I could interpret his invitation in three ways:
  • Go to where he is going.
  • Do as he does. Imitate him.
  • Be his disciple (taga-sunod)
As Jesus invited Matthew to follow him, he also invitates us to follow him today.
  • Is he inviting me to go where he is now--heaven? In other words, is he telling me to keep my eyes fixed not only down but up as well? Is he inviting me to take care not only of my body but also of my soul? Is he not inviting me to raise my mind and heart in prayer to him who is now in heaven?
  • Or is he inviting me to imitate him? In other words, is he not asking me to examine myself and see where I have failed to be Christ-like? Is Jesus not inviting me to conversion? I am called a Christian because I am a follower of Christ. This means that I follow a certain way of life. This is probably the reason why Christians were said to follow The Way (see Acts).
  • Or is Jesus not inviting me to discipleship? In other words, is Jesus not inviting me to service in the kingdom?
The invitation of Jesus turned the world of Matthew upside down.
  • From a collaborator of the Romans to a collaborator of God.
  • From the business of collecting money to the business of "collecting" souls.
  • From being an employee of Herod to an apostle of Jesus Christ.
  • From a secure and familiar life to one that is uncertain, a leap in the dark
If I were to accept the invitation of Jesus, am I aware of the changes that have happen to me and to my life? This is what we call the cost of discipleship. Sometimes the cost is extreme as in the case of Matthew. By saying yes to Jesus, he had to leave everything behind. Am I able to pay the cost of a yes? Am I even willing?

No comments: