Saturday, April 02, 2005

2 Sunday of Easter

Jn 20:19-31

"The doors were locked. Jesus came and stood in their midst." The body of Jesus was a glorified body. It no longer has the limits of an earthly body. Someday my body will be transformed in the same way. My body shares with my soul a glorious destiny. That is because I am my body and my soul. Consequently I should not only take care of the welfare of my soul. I should also care for my body and uphold its dignity.

"He showed them his hands and his side." The body of Jesus had been glorified. But the glorification did not erase the marks of the nails and the gash of the lance. That means that his passion and death were an important part of his life as Savior. Suffering and death has the potential of being salvific. I can offer the sufferings I experience to God in expiation for my sins. I can offer them in prayer for some need.

"Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them." On Maundy Thursday Jesus gave two gifts to his people, the Eucharist and Priesthood. On this occasion Jesus gave his people another gift, the sacrament of reconciliation. I have heard people say, "why confess to a priest who also commits sins?" I say, "Why go to a doctor who also gets sick? Why tell your personal secrets to a counselor who also has his own psychological problems?" Even if confession were not a sacrament, it would still be a good idea to confess. Bringing out the rotten things inside me has always been a cathartic experience. I always feel great after a good confession.

No comments: